Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Am I within my rite to ask for my money back from acorn stairlift

Am I within my rite to ask for my money back from acorn stairlift company as I have only owned my new stairlift for two weeks and it failed half way up the stairs with my 90 year old mother still sitting in it we then had to get her out of the chair and when she got to the top of the stairs she had a fall and hurt her hand and her nee they say it has been repaired but we no longer trust it
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What I suggest you do is firstly write to them and demand your money back. This should be done on the basis that a chair lift is intended to give an elderly person piece of mind and the ability to be self sufficient. The manner in which it has failed means that it is no longer fit for its purpose under s14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Unfortunately I m afraid there is no immediate legal right to return the goods and they are entitled to attempt to repair them first but because of the impact this has caused it is worth kicking up a fuss.

If they still refuse then your other option would be to complaints Trading Standards who can rule over any dispute www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ