75100385

we are working for a domestic client installing soundproofing.the

we are working for a domestic client installing soundproofing.the tenant next door as a dog that barks none stop.we have told the estate agent but they have said there is nothing they can do.The barking is extremely severe and goes on into the early hours.my clients life is suffering and she is losing sleep.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I assume the Landlord is an individual rather than the council? Have you complained to the council yet please?
Customer:

yes but they are not that interested and say we need to do a sound test before they go any further.can i send a letter to the estate agent telling them they have a legal obligation to do something

Alex Watts : The Council have a duty to do something under the Environmental Protection Act.
Alex Watts : They should install noise monitoring equipment. If the noise is hazardous or prejudicial to health then they have an obligation under the act to take action,
Alex Watts : They can't just say you do something about it - they must.
Alex Watts : Therefore
Alex Watts : Pressure them into Installing the noise equipment - that is the first thing and you can go from there.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

yes what about the estate agent do they have a legal responsability

Alex Watts : The estate no, not unless they are in breach if their lease/agreement.
Alex Watts : If so then the estate can do something but they are not required by law to do so.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify the position for you?
Customer:

yes thank you

Customer:

what about the tenant should we send them a letter last question on this subject

Alex Watts : Yes I would do this certainly. Then if any action takes place at least you can say they were warned.
Alex Watts : Does that help?