How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, I have a Hoover washing machine that is 14 months old,

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Hoover washing machine that is 14 months old, the concrete weight that holds the machine stable has cracked in half causing the machine to bounce around, I spoke to Hoover who advised me to get an independent report costing me £59, I spoke to Hoover again today and the lady on the phone admitted it was a manufacturing fault and offered me £216 which includes the £59, I paid £299 for the washing machine, am I in my rights to ask for the washing machine to be repaired or replaced.

Many thanks
John Leon
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is it under warranty please?
Customer: I did not take out extended warranty
Alex Watts : Is it under any warranty please?
Customer: No
Alex Watts : Potentially you have 6 years to bring a claim for breach of contract.
Alex Watts : You could yes ask for it to be repaired or replaced.
Alex Watts : You would be entitled for this under the Sale of goods Act
Alex Watts : can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : So yes you are entitled to a repair or replacement.
Customer: How do I go about making a claim for breach of contract
Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.


If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.


The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.


If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.


Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: Would you have a draft copy of a letter that I can adapt to send please
Alex Watts :

Sadly I dont have a template. But if you write a letter I can review it for you

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: Thanks Alex
Alex Watts :


Customer: Alex, please review.
Customer: Ref No. ******
Customer: We purchased the machine in April 2013 from Currys (Alvis retail park Coventry). An independent engineer has examined the machine and declared it unusable due to a manufacturing defect on the lower concrete block. I forwarded the report onto your office and you agreed with the engineer. You have offered me the cost of the report, £59, and an additional £157 towards the cost of a new machine, which I have declined. I have since sought legal advice and been informed that under the sale of goods act and due to the machine only being 14 months old and unfit for purpose, I have the right to a full refund plus any costs I have incurred. That is to say £299 for the machine, £59 for the engineers report and £50 for the cost of a second hand machine I have had to purchase in order to launder my clothes. I hereby give you 14 days notice to settle this claim or I will issue proceedings in the County Court.
Alex Watts : Yes that is fine.
Alex Watts : I would only add that any costs in pursuing the claim will be added to it.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer: i think that's about it, many thanks for all your help. I will see how it goes.
Alex Watts : Great,
Alex Watts : If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply
Customer: i
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alex tried leaving a tip / bonus it has either taken it about 6/7 times if nothing not sure how to proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Might I ask you to email customer services over any billing issues, as I do not have access to that part as an expert?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice