How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alex J. Your Own Question

Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3628
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I won a county court judgement again what would have been my

Customer Question

I won a county court judgement again what would have been my landlord in May last year. He was ordered to pay me £2175 (inc court costs). I received the judgement last June. I waited 6 months and still had no payment so I paid my local court (Swindon county court) £100 for the bailiffs to go to the landlords house. They tried visiting 3 times and no luck. I waited a further 4 months and then instructed the High Court Sheriffs - they tried 3 times and wrote to me to state that on their last visit someone came to the door, locked it from the inside and walked away.

I knew I would have trouble getting my money back but not to this extent - i'm at a loss and as a single mum with 2 babies, I really need that money back, i've been struggling financially since the ordeal that concluded the reason for going to court in the first place.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated, I can't afford to let it go but i'm struggling to fund further services to get it back. It's cost me £224 trying to get it back already!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

An inexpensive way of putting pressure on the landlord to pay and finding out if he is solvent is to serve him with a statutory demand. This will put a huge amount of pressure on him, because if he does not pay within 21 days it can be used as proof of insolvency and you could commence bankruptcy proceedings against him.

The only other alternative, but this will cost time and money, is to find out if he own his own property (which I suspect he might if he rented one to you) and seek a charging order over that property. That will secure the debt you are owed you can then seek an order for sale. The costs of doing this are recoverable but it is a slow process.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi AH=J,


Thanks for the advice. I sent him the statutory demand on 7th July by signed recorded delivery and I received notification that he received this 8th July.


What do I do now if he doesn't pay? I haven't heard anything yet and I have a copy of the paperwork I sent him as proof of the postage; would this suffice for evidence that I have issued this to him?


Sorry to ask so many questions - i'm not sure how to commence bankruptcy proceeding against him or how this will help to get my money back?


Kind regards



Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Once you have served the stat demand you have to give him 21 days to respond.

It may be worth contacting him the mean time and asking if he wants to offer you a structure for repaying the money in instalments.

Kind regards


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice