12826847

I have a UK full license have just received a 1 month ban and

Customer Question

I have a UK full license have just received a 1 month ban and a fine for speeding in Germany during a recent visit. I have paid the fine but I am concerned about sending my license over to initiate the ban. I have two questions:
1. Will the license be endorsed?
2. Will DVLA be informed by the German court?
Many thanks,
Jim

1 A German court cannot add points to your UK licence. All it can do is place you upon a ban from driving in Germany. At least, I'm not a German lawyer and cannot say what they can do but even if a German court placed you upon a ban from driving in the UK, they have no jurisdiction here so it could not be enforced.

2 No. At least, they could tell them. But they cannot take any action.

We don't have mutual recognitiion of driving bans in the EU yet with any other member state than Ireland.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your rapid response. I presume then that the EU mutual recognition of driving disqualifications has not yet been ratified by all member states.

How would I respond to a police officer when I am unable to produce my license?

No. It is coming but its a huge operation for all member states to be able to recognise each other's bans. Its not something that can happen quickly.

Just explain to a police officer that your licence is with the German authorities. That is a perfectly acceptable response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your all your help. I have learnt my lesson and hopefully won't need to contact you on this type of matter again!

Jim

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/