LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I had 9 penalty points but did not declare them to my insurance

I had 9 penalty points but did not declare them to my insurance company when insuring my van as I was sure no one would insure a business start up with this number of points. My policy will end at the end of September and with the new register available to insurance companies my history will be visible. What is likely to happen
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

LondonlawyerJ :

If your insurance company notice then they will obviously increase your premiums massively if they are willing to still insure you. If you apply to a new company it is likely that the premiums will be very high. There is also the risk that as you appear to have made false representations to get the insurance policy that this could be regarded as a fraud. I doubt that this will lead to a referral to the police for investigation. You might want to consider getting in touch with your insurance company now and explaining or alternatively cancelling the existing policy and applying fresh to another company but being honest about your points. Simply having 9 points wolud not in itself be a bar to getting insurance but will make it expensive.

LondonlawyerJ :

You should also be aware that if you are involved in an accident it is unlikely that the insurance company would pay for any damage you are liable for and this could be financially ruinous for you.