75100385

Contractors were working in an adjacent office area to mine

Contractors were working in an adjacent office area to mine and supported a heater-coil in the ceiling above me with a large metal box, resting on the suspended ceiling support rails. The metal box dislodged and fell bringing down two suspended metal ceiling tiles which landed on the floor between my desk and that of my colleague.

Neither of us were injured.

Given that, are there any grounds for a claim of negligence against my employer who brought in the contractors or the contractors?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If there was no injury then there can be no claim

Alex Watts :

if it went to Court a Judge would only award compensation if there was a loss

Alex Watts :

Of course you could inform the Health and Safety Executive who can investigate.

Alex Watts :

But you have no grounds to sue as there has been no loss

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you Alex. I had already inferred this to be the most likely response.