75100385

Hello, I am a tenant in a rented flat owned by a housing association.

Hello, I am a tenant in a rented flat owned by a housing association. Recently the landlord changed the trade access codes. They have refused to let any residents have this code on the grounds of security. I have no problem with that.
However, the electronic link which is operated to allow service access, frequently takes over 3 minutes ( it sometimes takes 8 minutes or longer) to get an operative to answer.
Consequently, since there are 4 blocks to access, the carers for the infirm, postman, refuse collectors and delivery drivers, are not getting in to the buildings, and services are not being carried out.
There is a Trade Button. Are we as residents (retirement living), within our rights to request or demand that the aforementioned operatives are given access codes for a limited time daily?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is there anything in your agreement that mentions this at all please?

Customer:

No. At the time that I signed up as a tnant, there was a manager on site, from 8.30 until 4.30 daily.

Customer:

Due

Alex Watts :

So it is mainly the delay in gaining access for visitors that is an issue?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Watts :

The agreement does not prevent people visiting I assume?

Customer:

Due to govermnment cut backs there are now only people who call in infrequently to check on scheme/estste problems

Customer:

Visitors ring an outside door number for call the resisdent

Customer:

We are allowed visitors - it's the aforementioned services we are struggling to maintain

Alex Watts :

Trade people you are struggling with?

Customer:

If the postman etc has to access 4 blocks with a delay of 3 minutes and upwards. this means that thay are unable to do the work in their allotted time, so leave the site

Customer:

Sorry, the delays are at each block. The Trade Access Buttons are at each block entrance, so there should be no problems for the service providers to access each block within seconds

Alex Watts :

Ok - wont the Landlord budge on this? Who is the owner, the Council?

Customer:

Landlord won't budge. The owner is a Housing Association - not council

Alex Watts :

Ok - you need to write to the Association and formally complain to the Chief Executive Office

Alex Watts :

They will investigate the matter

Alex Watts :

If the reply is not satisfactory then you can complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They are a free independent service and are located at:

Alex Watts :

http://www.tpos.co.uk/

Alex Watts :

This should resolve the problem

Alex Watts :

But make sure you write a formal letter and send it recorded delivery to the Chief Executives Office

Alex Watts :

That way you can make sure that office deals with it

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this?

Customer:

We have tried the CEO . The reply came from a manager

Customer:

Thanks for your advice, we will write to the CEO as you suggest.Yor help has been very much appreciated

Alex Watts :

Yes and then the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They need to give you a final response before you go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Customer:

Very helpful.

Alex Watts :

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say