75100385

If a website is owned and run from a base in Scotland and an

If a website is owned and run from a base in Scotland and an image from that website has been infringed by a website that is owned and run from England or Wales, can the website owner in Scotland issue a small claim in the IPEC in London relying on the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988 or is there another set of laws that the owner has to use because his base is Scotland?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

This Act applies in Scotland as Well as England and Wales

Alex Watts :

So yes, you could issue proceedings in England against the Company

Alex Watts :

Clearly here a small claims limit is £10,000 as opposed to a £3,000 in Scotland

Alex Watts :

But yes you can issue in England against the offending Company

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks. Perfect answer.