Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi, hope you can help, my bother and I have legally acquired

Hi, hope you can help, my bother and I have legally acquired our deceased fathers property in the irish republic there are no title deeds, how long on average does it take to regenerate new title deeds and is costly process?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, there is no such thing as property in Ireland to which there are no title documents. In the Republic of Ireland, land is either registered land or unregistered land. If it is registered land, there are no title deeds merely an entry in the Property Registration Authority which will show the folio and who is the registered owner. If the property is unregistered land, then you can search in the Registry of Deeds and ascertain title by reference to the last person who sold the land. In either case you can employ a solicitor to get the relevant details for you. In relation to Registered land there is little problem and the solicitor will be able to provide it for you within a matter of days. In relation to unregistered land you will need to provide some details as to who owned the land immediately before your father and a search agent will recreate the title deeds within a two to three week period. The Property Registration process will only cost about 50-60 euros. The Registry of Deeds process will cost about 200-300 euros. But neither is a difficult process.