75100385

I was hit by anther car recently. Insurance co for other driver

I was hit by anther car recently. Insurance co for other driver has adnmitted responcibility. Mine was an old (03 plate vectra) and repalcement costs for like for like comes in at about £1500.

Other cars insuracne says my car is valued at £450 due to other non-related dents and dinks

Am I entitled to be put back at same position I was in before the accident or just the scrap value of my car?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you have any other valuation for your car, ie such as Glass's guide or autotrader?

Customer:

No, but the engineer for the other insurance co said he was refering to Glass's guide when he came up with the valuation. All the car needs is a rear bumber and number plate. Impact was not a high speed one. Repairs have been valued by Vauxhall dealership at £1500 so repair costs are, accorsing to them, not economic.

Alex Watts :

You are not entitled to like for like sadly

Alex Watts :

If you can get another valuation ie autotrader then you could claim this cost.

Alex Watts :

Dealerships are always expensive, more than an independent.

Alex Watts :

But if you can get a valuation with a higher value, they must accept that

Alex Watts :

You can get a valuation yourself at: http://www.glass.co.uk/

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Not looking to better my situation but to end the process in the same position that I started it in ie with a working and legal car. To replace even on alike for like basis I will be significantly out of pocket so does that mean inocent drivers can be financially downed because of the actions of a driver who was not paying attention?

Alex Watts :

Yes of course.

Alex Watts :

But if you get a higher valuation from somewhere else for the same car you can use that

Alex Watts :

But try Glass's - they offer a free service

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

Thank for the advice. Just tried Glass's and comes back with a dealer valuation of £1670 - £1850.

Alex Watts :

OK - well there you go, that is a fair valuation.

Customer:

As a by line the other insurer is First Direct, the one who advertises a repalcement car or money offer if the car is a write off but their enginer has advised that this only applies to their own insured and not the injured party where their policy holder is at fault. Doesnt this mean their promises are a bit vauge to say the least?

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Alex Watts :

Yes I would say so

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else/

Customer:

Yes, they have also arranged for physio as I am suffering some back and neck pain with headaches. I dont like the idea of personal injury claims as they have such bad press and just want to get on with things without all the lawyer hassle but given theri attitude today it has put the hackles up guess a claim would not be worth a lot though.

Alex Watts :

How long has your injury lasted for?

Customer:

since the accident on 25 /6. No change in severity since then nor any improvement. agreed to let the insurance co manage tratment as they saw fit.

Alex Watts :

Ok - I can't say what it would be worth without seeing the medical report and prognosis

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today please?

Customer:

Is it worth seeing my own regulkar GP for a check though?

Alex Watts :

Of course, it would not do any harm

Alex Watts :

Does that help?