Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Can my apartment management company cut off my water supply

Can my apartment management company cut off my water supply without notice if they suspect there may be a leak in my apartment
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Technically speaking they cannot just turn your water off without permission or unless there is an unpaid bill (for example because the water payments form part of the service charge).

That said if it is an emergency and they are doing to prevent further extensive damage to the property and mitigate any losses, then the practicalities of this are going to outweigh any obligation they have to you under your lease.

What they should not do is leave the water off for an extended period of time, and they should seek to fix the problem causing the leak as soon as possible (if it is their responsibility).

AJ