75100385

In February 2014, I purchased 4 CCTV cameras with cables from

In February 2014, I purchased 4 CCTV cameras with cables from an online retailer to extend my existing CCTV camera system.

The CCTV cameras and cables were installed around my home and then connected to my existing system.

In early June 2014, one of the new CCTV cameras developed a fault, namely water ingress, and I contacted the retailer.

The retailer asked me to return the faulty camera to them, which I did.

After receiving the faulty camera on 17th June 2014, the retailer informed me the return would be processed by one of their technicians within 3 to 5 working days and if the faulty CCTV camera was over 28 days old, it maybe sent to the manufacturers for a warranty repair which may take up to 28 days.

I was expecting the retailer to replace the faulty CCTV camera or at the very least, repair it.

On 2nd July 2014, I received an email from the retailer who stated that to continue with the returns process, they required all parts of the item to be returned to them within 7 days, and if they did not hear back from me the faulty CCTV camera will be returned to me as they were unable to proceed with the return without the complete unit.

I called the retailer on 2nd July 2014 and asked them what parts were missing from the faulty CCTV camera, as I was not aware of any missing parts when it was returned to them.

The retailer then informed me that there were no parts missing but a password ***** needed to access the faulty CCTV camera to test it and I informed them that I was not aware of any password.

The retailer then stated they would call me back after investigating the issue, which they did a little time later, and then requested that the 3 remaining CCTV cameras and cables were also sent back to them.

I explained to the retailer that the remaining CCTV cameras and cables were all installed and operating correctly to which they insisted they still wanted the items returning as they no longer stocked these particular items and would now only provide a refund.

I explained to the retailer that they initially only asked for the return of the faulty CCTV camera and now would put me to expense in removing the 3 remaining CCTV cameras and cables that were not faulty, which also would result in the loss of use of them.

The retailer insisted that I remove the 3 CCTV cameras and cables, at my expense, and return these items to them before they will issue any refund.

I would be most grateful if you could tell me where I stand, from a legal perspective, on this particular matter.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer:

Can the retailer demand that I remove the remaining working CCTV cameras and cables, at my expense, instead of replacing or repairing the faulty CCTV camera as they originally indicated? Thank you.

Alex Watts :

No - they have to replace or repair the faulty ones.

Alex Watts :

They can't make you remove the working ones - there is simply no point

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks for your reply. Is there any specific legislation and/or statutory right I can refer to when I respond to the retailer?

Alex Watts :

Sale of Goods Act 1979

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer

Alex Watts :

If the system wont allow you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer:

Again, many thanks!