Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

MY YOUNGER BROTHER DIED RECENTLY, AND THE FUNERAL COST IS APPROXIMATELY

MY YOUNGER BROTHER DIED RECENTLY, AND THE FUNERAL COST IS APPROXIMATELY £4000. HIS SOLICITOR HAS ADVISED ME THAT HE HAS LEFT £16000. UNFORTUNATELY HIS DAUGHTER, WHO IS THE NEXT OF KIN, HAS YET TO BE TRACED. AM I LIABLE FOR THE COST OF THE FUNERAL ?
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.

I am very sorry for the loss of your brother.

The funeral costs are normally met by any money in the estate of the deceased and, where money has been left, the funeral bill has the highest priority of all debts except for secured loans.

If the solicitor is the executor of the estate then he can pay all the costs of the funeral on provision of the invoices.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please ask.