I engaged the services of a local plumber to investigate (and

Customer Question

I engaged the services of a local plumber to investigate (and hopefully rectify) a small leak in a central heating radiator. He advised that the spot where the leak seemed to be should be welded so he arranged for a welder to attend to carry out the repair and duly removed the radiator to await the welder. The welder unfortunately did not appear on the arranged day, the reason for which I am not aware. The welder appeared the following day and carried out a repair. The plumber returned later that day, replaced the radiator but discovered that the leak still existed so he removed it again and informed me that the solution would be to put a "pressure test" on the radiator which would highlight the exact spot so it could then be re-welded.

The plumber then informed me that he could not stay any longer at my house because he had another pressing job to go to for which he had hired out some equipment for a sizeable fee and was reluctant to waste any time or money by not using it. He said that he had the equipment for 3 weeks so I said that I would wait for 3 weeks until he could return and replace the radiator after it had been re-welded. The plumber gave me the welder 's telephone number so I contacted him myself to make sure that he would return. He did return on the pre-arranged day but the plumber did not.

Before the plumber left he gave me an invoice for £420, comprising £360 for his time and £60 for some materials. I duly gave him a cheque. He has not returned to complete the work which I would have expected him to do, i.e. carry out a pressure test and replace the radiator after re-welding. I have sent him 2 letters, the first one to ask him to return and complete the work - to which he did not reply, the second one he did reply to because I informed him that under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 I am entitled to have this work completed or I would like a refund. He was quite aggressive in his reply by saying that the money I paid him was correct for the work he had done and that by returning to do any more would be working for nothing. He also went into the realms of he only has a small business and with his large overheads he couldn't afford to work for nothing. Is that my concern? He did also say that I should seek any compensation from the welder because of his failure to appear on the first occasion. Surely the welder was part of his package?

Do I have a genuine case for asking for some financial compensation from the plumber as he has not returned to complete the work?

What will it cost to put this right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The welder will charge £40 per visit and if it takes an hour and a half for this particular plumber to carry out the pressure test on the radiator and then refit it, he will charge £120, making a total of approximately £160 to put right. I do not, however, want this plumber back in my house again!

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Did the plumber say that the welding was part of the package please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not in as many words but it was on his suggestion that a welder should attend which he then proceeded to arrange. He did, however, ask that I pay the welder separately (£40).

Who instructed the welder, him or you?

Did he say the original price was for the whole job or just work done to date?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He instructed the welder. The money I paid him was for work done to date.

OK - then its for the plumber to make sure all work is done and reasonable. The contract is between you and the plumber.

The contract with the welder is between the plumber and welder, not you.

You need to get a quote for getting the work completed.

You need to write and set out your losses and request the plumber do the work or pay you this cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your prompt replies and excellent service. My mind is a lot clearer on this issue now.

Happy to help!