13262538

Probate.A will was witnessed but a witness was unable to

Probate. A will was witnessed but a witness was unable to sign and directed me to do so at his direction. My Nan gifted her house by way of keys and telling me where her title deeds were 6 months before she died.   What are the implications of this

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why could the Witness not sign?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had a problem with his hand an injury but also he may have been slightly dyslexic.

May I ask why he was asked to Witness a Will in those circumstances?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First opportunity to have 2 independent witnesses present at the same time. He drove so presumably he could sign, he was embarrassed so suspect he was dyslexic afterwards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would add the the testator had signed and the other witness before him he had not said that he would be unable to sign until it got to him. Only one copy was taken.

Will he give evidence to that effect if need be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not now previously he would have. Huge dispute about building works he performed and now denies even meeting the testator. He has been trying to extort money for around 9 months. There is written evidence to his I would have helped you etc... and a witness to say he had meet the testator, turns out he is on medication and was working while on benefits.

Have you tried to obtain Probate of the Will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes granted back in 2012 estate distributed as per the will. The will was passed to colleague and asked about the clause for 'at the direction of' to be added if required. They never came back with a yes or no, valid or not, a few months later the testator died and they sent it off as it stood. The will was called back after the solicitors were reported to the police and SRA, The witness was working for the senior partner, clearing files, they reported it to the police. No beneficiaries have raised issue with it.

So the Probate office accepted it but are now challenging it I am afraid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the probate office is not involved.

Sorry - i thought you said that Probate had been granted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Probate granted 2012 the estate distributed they have not raised an issue with it. The solicitors who made the application and the witness have informed the police. Arrested no charges the police have been investigating now for a year.

So what do you wish to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A will was witnessed but a witness was unable to sign and directed me to do so at his direction. My Nan gifted her house by way of keys and telling me where her title deeds were 6 months before she died. What are the implications of this

Just for clarity - what name did you sign on the will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His name was given not signed as a signature his address was dictated by him.

Who were the other possible beneficiaries of your grandmother - how many children/grandchildren are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Myself and my children are the only living relatives now. I was also her Attorney, she was moving down to live with us, hence the building work quoted 12 weeks took 12 months. Hence none of the beneficiaries had a problem, we all knew her wishes and plans.

Did your parent (her child) have any siblings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, my mum was adopted and died, my nan had a half sister who died, I had a brother who died he left 2 children who were adopted.

Do you mean they were adopted by someone else after his death?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they were 1 yr and 2 yr when he died, his partner moved on.

In that case there is no real problem
Even if the Will was not valid you are the only person who would have inherited the whole estate in any event so there is no loss to anyone.
Couple with that the fact that the Probate Registry accepted the Will as valid in terms of what happens to the Estate since there is no one to challenge the Will it is hard to see what action the police could take as it appears that there is no evidence - other than that of the Witness - that there was any wrongdoing in any event
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Nan also gave me her house around March as it was to be sold to help fund the conversion and her living costs. We did not register the gift as I would have had to pay taxes on the transfer it also to have to be registered at the land registry. (unregistered property) I had Power of Attorney etc.. she gave keys said where the deeds were, as she was moving and it was to be sold we just left it at that. Would this gift be recognised as valid. The house has been sold years ago now. There probably is not any written evidence of the gift because we had no reason to think any one would question it.

How much was her total estate worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

without the house £25,000.00 with the house £330,000.00 the house was declared on the IHT forms as it was a transfer.

So again there is no issue for anyone to object to