LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Help please! I have a Staffordshire terrier cross dog

Help please! I have a Staffordshire bull terrier cross dog that I have as a family pet (she is no threat unless she licks u to death) she is my children's dog. i was contacted by my housing manager today to inform me that i have to get rid of her due to a complaint. My tenancy states pets are allowed if notified by writting. i did write to them when i moved in 4months ago but had no response (i have a copy of the letter) now the housing manager is threatening to bring the police and rspca. my dog is spade microchipped and no threat at all. she is in excellent health. I explained that i have her due to the domestic violence suffered and anxiety (as on my drs records) his response was " i dont care for your [email protected] excuses thats my property your living in." please help i am really scared to loose her for our security and can not bare to break my kids hearts
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I will need some more information to answer your question. Is your landlord a private individual or a social landlord? What sort of tenancy do you have? If you do not know then I may be able to work it out from the type of landlord and how long you have been there. Do you know what the complaint was about, ie any specific incident or just a general complaint? Does the notification clause you refer to have a requirement for the landlord to approve the presence of a pet?

Customer:

My landlord is housing association with assured tenancy. I have lived here since February. I was informed that i need to prove that my dogs here for medical reasons or shes out

LondonlawyerJ :

What does your tenancy agreement say about pets? Is there anything in the agreement about "medical reasons". What does the notice clause you refer to say in full about notice and pets? I need this to give you an answer.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am in and out of court this morning but will answer when I can.

Customer:

It states pets are allowed as long as its put in writing, as long as they are not part of the dangerous dog act and your property is not used for breeding grounds, as long as you put it in writing that you have a dog. Which is exactly what i did and had no response. i stated in the letter that if i had no response i would presume it was ok.

LondonlawyerJ :

The only specific breeds mentioned under that Act are Pit Bull Terriers and Japanese Tosa. You tell me your dog isn't one of those breeds. It seems to me that you are OK. Is i clear what breed your dog is. Do you have a certificate of any sort confirming the breed?

LondonlawyerJ :

From what you tell me they have no right to require you to get rid of the dog. I assume there have been no incidents involving the dog.

Customer:

The vet can verify what breed she is from her records. The housing manager is saying he didn't receive the letter thats why i had no response. He said he will have my dog removed if I dont get rid of her within four weeks or he will have the police and Rspca at my door to remove her. but on what grounds? she's not ill treated or a threat? is he just absusing his authority and trying to intimidate me? There have been no incidents regarding my dog there are more than five people in the block that have dogs and its one woman on the second floor who doesn't like dogs and filled a complaint but theres been no incident

LondonlawyerJ :

He is talking nonsense. He can not come and remove your dog without a court order. If he tries to get one, the question of service of your letter will come up. It is unlikely that he would be able to get the order, it would be incredibly expensive to take court action to get the order and the prospects of success for them are not good. The police and RSPCA can do nothing unless you are being cruel to the dog, I assume you are not! He is indeed abusing his position and trying to intimidate you. You could either ignore him and see if he does anything. Or you could write to him asking him to desist and stating that you wrote to him about the dog and waited the requisite time before getting it and inform him you regard his behaviour as an abuse of his position.

Customer:

Thank you. you have been a great help

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.