UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I wish to sign a disclaimer/waiver releasing a disabled riding

I wish to sign a disclaimer/waiver releasing a disabled riding charity from any any responsibility for injuries I may receive when assisting disabled individuals on or off a horse/pony in their riding session.

I have volunteered in this charity for many years and worked with one disabled person in particular since he was a small lad, no an adult, weighing very little more than he did as a child. After a visit from the ubiquitous Health and Safety, this man is no longer allowed to come to his therapeutic riding sessions, because they do not like the way his father and I put him on and off the horse.

I have offered to sign a disclaimer waiving my rights to claim if I sustain injury or worse, but was told they are not worth the paper they are written on?! That certainly does not then make sense of all the millions of waivers and disclaimers we have to sign in our daily lives. So please help me help this young man continue with one of the very few things that make his life happier for a few moments, and guide me in the direction of a waiver that is worth it's paper, so that I can present to the RDA Committee and their lawyers.

Yours faithfully
Very angry and sick and tired of health and Safety excesses.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid it is correct, such disclaimers are contrary to the Unfair Contract Terms Act as you cannot limit or exclude liability for death or personal injury.

Perhaps the Charity may get insurance cover which would indemnify them in the event of any claim made against them for injury.

Hope this helps