LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hello. I am involved in a dispute at the moment and wondered

Customer Question

Hello. I am involved in a dispute at the moment and wondered if you can let me know where i stand legally. I have been working for a lady who does dog walking and dog boarding. She recently sent two dogs to stay with me from different families. During their stay one dog attacked and severely injured the other dog which is still having ongoing treatment. The lady who placed these dogs in my care is now saying that it is my sole responsibility to pay for the vets fees incurred. Is she correct in saying i am liable for these fees?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this. The answer to this will depend on the nature of your agreement with this lady, is there a written agreement?

JACUSTOMER-7jhg45bc- : No there was no written agreement, they are her clients and she merely placed the dogs with me during their owners absence
LondonlawyerJ :

I think the position is this. As far as the dog owners are concerned they have a claim against the lady who they dealt with but if they bring a claim than she will have a claim against you. Of course there will be no claim against you if there was no negligence. If the attacking dog is known to do this sort of behaviour by it's owner and they did not pass this information on then they may well share some of the blame. I can't give a definitive answer to this question because although the facts are quite stark the detail is not. Ultimately, if you have failed to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the dogs then you will be responsible at least inpart. If the actions of the aggressive dog were not foreseeable then you may well not be responsible.