75100385

I have council tax debt and this has accumulated. I have been

Customer Question

I have council tax debt and this has accumulated. I have been anxious to approach the council and they have applied for a charging order on my property which is in my sole name. There is a court hearing to ask for this to continue and interest charges to be applied on debt. I have 3 children who live at home.

My husband is responsible for half the debt but not interested he is not named on the property
Can I ask to pay half of the debt and the council to pursue him for the other half?
If I raise half of the debt and spread the remaining over 5 years will this prevent a charging order on my property. Will a charging order on the property affect my credit rating?
I am scared If i do not attend court can they ask for an immediate sale?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you have any way you can realistically discharge the arrears please/

Alex Watts :

Do they have a liability order already?