13262538

my son is starting uni this sept and I was under the impression

Customer Question

my son is starting uni this sept and I was under the impression that although I am happy to continue supporting HIM my maintenance payment to his Mother ceases. Is this correct as she thinks differently?

regards
Richard.
Do you pay under the terms of a Court Order?
if so when does it say that maintenance ceases?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I have been paying under a voluntary agreement between his mother and me. when the voluntary agreement was made no mention of when it ceased was mentioned as it was 16 years ago.

In that case you are correct and payments to your ex now stop - and future payments should be made to your son directly.
If you were paying via the CSA you would have to pay until September - but your ex cannot make an application now
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I clarify as I have twin boys and they will be 19 in November. They have both finished their a levels 1 is going to uni and the other into work (fingers crossed) I thought I had to pay until September but are you saying that I don't ?

regards

HI
If you were paying under a CSA assessment then yes you would have to pay until September
Since you are not and your sons have finished Secondary education you need only pay until the end of their school term
It could be argued that you shoudl pay until they get their results - but there is little that your ex can do if you do not pay