75100385

I belong to a choir and in January the owner put his rates

I belong to a choir and in January the owner put his rates up from £90 per term to £150.
At the same time he offered us a deal, that if we committed to 12months we could pay £30 at the time 22/01/14, and pay 11 standing order payments of £30. I agreed and signed a printed piece of paper with my details on. At the bottom it says... I hereby pay £30 and commit to pay a further 11 standing order payments of £30 for the next 36 sessions.
I am very dissatisfied with the standard of the choir and no longer want to be a member.
He is telling me that I have signed a contract and that he will take it further if I don't pay.
Am I legally bound by this? bearing in mind that the £150 was never an actual fee it was used as a device to get us to commit to a 12 month 'contract'.
Nita

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did it say anything about termination or that it was a membership contract please?
Customer: No. The only information is as I described.My personal details and I hereby pay ......etc plus just my signature and date.
Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

Its like a mobile contract you have entered into

Alex Watts :

In this case its £30 x 36 sessions

Alex Watts :

If you agreed to that without any clause that says you can end early, then you are bound by the contract

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer: If I chose to cancel. What are his options to recover the money? Would he take me to the small claims to recover the money and would this be worth him doing. How much would that cost him? If I offered to pay so much a month ie £5 because I couldn't afford any more would that be a possibility?
Alex Watts : He could take you to a small claim and you could make an offer to pay. It may not even end up in court and all done on the papers.
Alex Watts : But he may threaten it but not follow through,
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer: What do you mean....all done on the papers?
Alex Watts : You rated poor service without asking me anything follow up?
Alex Watts : If you admit the debt and give a payment plan, the judge can decide what repayment on the papers?
Alex Watts : Does this clarify?
Customer: Yes .thanks......sorry about the poor rating .....misunderstood when there was no written response in the box when the instruction said there was a reply waiting.
Customer: Would it be financially worth him going to small claims for such a small amount i.e.£150
Alex Watts :

Yes I would. I have been to a small claim below £100

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If that answers your question might I invite you to review the rating you gave me

Alex Watts :

If the system does not allow you to re-rate please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer: Thanks for your help . I have submitted good service but I don't know if it was sent. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Try and rate now!