Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

This is about a false allegation. Though in itself its not

Customer Question

This is about a false allegation. Though in itself it's not serious, it could become the thin end of the wedge for ones that are.

I live in Hampshire, but when I'm in London I stay with a friend of mine. He has a house conveniently situated in central London. I stay in one of 2 rooms at the top of the house.

Occasionally, a pretty young actress from Prague stays. She sleeps in the room bang next door, She a little neurotic and a light sleeper. Sometimes she ticks me off for making too much noise when I get up in the morning to go about my business.

This is what happened. I was out for dinner last night. On my return, my host warned me that this girl had arrived and not to disturb her. I went to bed as I do normally.

Then at 5.10am, I woke, went to the loo and on returning this woman balled at me" Don't come into my room and stop making so much noise".

At first I thought it was like a warning - not that I've had the slightest intention of entering that room if she's there. It was odd and alarming, but I was frankly more concerned about her being such a light sleeper that I can't even go to the loo for fear of waking her.

But this morning she accused me of entering her room to our host. This was a bald lie on her part. I suspect her motivation might be that she doesn't like me being around, and this accusation might alienate me from our host.

But I'm worried that if she can lie about that, she could also lie about me abusing her in some way. The consequences of that could be hugely damaging for me.

So I want to write her a formal letter explaining the legal action I'll take if she repeats any false accusation whatsoever, and outline in that letter what the consequences of that action might be for her if found guilty.

In of itself, entering her room is hardly a crime. But the corollary of that kind of behaviour could lead to very serious matters. Therefore I want to nip this in the bud so that she's in no doubt what I will do if she makes similar false accusations again.

David
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document help, I am happy to for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details!

Alex Hughes :

When did this all happen?

Customer :

This is about a false allegation. Though in itself it's not serious, it could become the thin end of the wedge for ones that are. I live in Hampshire, but when I'm in London I stay with a friend of mine. He has a house conveniently situated in central London. I stay in one of 2 rooms at the top of the house. Occasionally, a pretty young actress from Prague stays. She sleeps in the room bang next door, She a little neurotic and a light sleeper. Sometimes she ticks me off for making too much noise when I get up in the morning to go about my business. This is what happened. I was out for dinner last night. On my return, my host warned me that this girl had arrived and not to disturb her. I went to bed as I do normally. Then at 5.10am, I woke, went to the loo and on returning this woman balled at me" Don't come into my room and stop making so much noise". At first I thought it was like a warning - not that I've had the slightest intention of entering that room if she's there. It was odd and alarming, but I was frankly more concerned about her being such a light sleeper that I can't even go to the loo for fear of waking her. But this morning she accused me of entering her room to our host. This was a bald lie on her part. I suspect her motivation might be that she doesn't like me being around, and this accusation might alienate me from our host. But I'm worried that if she can lie about that, she could also lie about me abusing her in some way. The consequences of that could be hugely damaging for me. So I want to write her a formal letter explaining the legal action I'll take if she repeats any false accusation whatsoever, and outline in that letter what the consequences of that action might be for her if found guilty. In of itself, entering her room is hardly a crime. But the corollary of that kind of behaviour could lead to very serious matters. Therefore I want to nip this in the bud so that she's in no doubt what I will do if she makes similar false accusations again.

Customer :

Hi - sorry the copy and paste dumped the text in a single block. It's what I write initially, which gives you all the facts.

Alex Hughes :

But when did it all happen?

Customer :

This morning at 5.10am. Then I get a text this morning from the host to say that this girl accused me of entering her room (when I had not!). That may not sound serious, but if she later falsely accuses me of something more so, then I could be in a very nasty place, surely not?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
OK.

You can certainly have a letter sent in the terms you seek but as we do not offer this service you will have to instruct a solicitor privately. You can get details of local solicitors by speaking to the Law Society on 0207(###) ###-####or using their search facility voa www.lawsociety.org.uk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm aware that you don't write letters.

What I'm wanting to know is, what is my position legally? That will influence what I say in my letter to her.

For example, is it: -

She has committed a false allegation and is guilty of xyz, which I can point out in my letter.

Or: -

Whilst she hasn't committed any offence, if she were to make the false accusation of a more serious kind, such as sexual abuse, then she would be committing an offence under XYZ Act, Section ABC,

Or

You might advise that until she makes a false accusation of an actual crime, then there is nothing I can do, other than to write a letter strongly denying the accusation.

Please advise.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Why do you think the false allegation might be sexual abuse rather than something else e.g.theft?

I'm confused as to what exactly you're trying to preempt when no allegation has actually been made.

The risk is surely of opening a can of worms?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She hasn't accused me of anything apart from entering her bedroom at night, which I didn't do! She wilfully lied; I'm worried she could lie about something more serious.

Theft would be hard for her to prove, unless she planted something. Sexual crimes are very much "her word against mine". If I don't strongly refute entering her room, though that was a lie on her part, potentially it might appear corroborate a later false accusation.

This may be a storm in a tea cup. But it needs to be nipped in the bud in my view.

I just need to know what the legal situation is. At the moment I'm none the wiser.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay - I've found the answer from another source.