12826847

I am awaiting a reply from DVLA Medical Section as to whether

Customer Question

I am awaiting a reply from DVLA Medical Section as to whether they will renew my driving licence for age 70+. My current driving licence runs out on the 12th August when I reach the age of 70 on the 13th. The medical condition Glaucoma & Macular Degeneration does not affect my driving even though I have to wear spectacles and I have not been informed by my GP or consultant that these conditions will make me unfit to drive as I meet the requirements of reading a car registration from 20 metres. Can I drive legally up to the 12th August? Can I appeal their decision if they decide not to renew my driving licence?

Have the DVLA revoked your licence now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When will you be sending me a full reply

Unless you are actually revoked you are free to drive.

If the DVLA have not revoked your licence then you have every right to continue to drive in the UK.

In relation to whether you can appeal, you have a right of appeal from any decision of the DVLA to the Magistrates Court. That is not the same thing as having a good chance of appeal of course but you do have an automatic right of appeal.

To have a good chance of appeal you are going to need to find a respected medical practitioner that confirms that you have no condition or that if you do have a condition its not one that endangers the public.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much, I just hope DVLA replies before my current Licence runs out as I see no reason that they should revoke it accoring to my GP.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/