How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

as a trustee of my church I have today been made bankcrupt

Customer Question

as a trustee of my church I have today been made bankcrupt by a creditor the church owes rent to. I am a professional and run a small business and cannot afford for this bankcruptcy to stay so I have to try to apply to a judge to stop it from being advertised. I have to go and look for the money to pay. my whole livelihood is at stake please advise. I am a pharmacist. what can I do if the money is paid before wednesday. 

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : If you can discharge the debt and costs then you can apply to annul the bankrutcy.
Alex Watts : You can ask the court for an urgent hearing.
Alex Watts : If the bankruptcy is annulled then it will be set aside and you won't be made bankrupt.
Alex Watts : But if you are bankrupt you can't stop it being advertised.
Alex Watts : can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

I dont understand. This only happened in court this afternoon. What should be my next move. By monday I can borrow the money from family to pay the creditor and the receiver. Then are you saying for example on the same monday I can ask the court for an urgent hearing? what can I say to the judge to make him annul it.

Alex Watts : If you pay it and the costs it can be annulled.
Alex Watts : So if it is paid in full plus costs it can be set aside.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

thank you. this is the worst day of my life


Someone just told me I have to pay off all my creditors such as my mortgage, my business creditors everyone I owe money. is this true?

Alex Watts : No. If you discharge the bankruptcy petition debt then you can get it annulled.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer: Yes thank you. I'm grateful I will start working on it tomorrow
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Please can you help with this questions?


Can I appeal this bankruptcy order and get my case heard at a higher court? I am being made bankrupt for what I knew nothing about.


I was a Trustee for a charity and was not aware that one of the members was taking out a long lease using the name of the charity without our permission to do so. The member defaulted in the lease and this has resulted in a huge payment request by the owner of the lease for about £100,000.


Can I appeal this to a higher court and can be bankruptcy be stopped pending appeal?


Will really apprecite your response on this. Thanks very much for your help.





Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
No, the right course is to annul rather than appeal.