Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

After a persons death their property is sold above the capital

Customer Question

After a person's death their property is sold above the capital gains tax level but a mortgage is repaid bringing the sum below that level is capital gains tax still applicable on the total amount?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document help, I am happy to for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details!

Alex Hughes :

Capital Gains Tax is calculated AFTER the mortgage and other expenses are dedcuted from the sale price. If after deducting the mortgage the balance falls below the CGT limit then no CGT is payable.

Alex Hughes :

Here is very helpful calculator from HMRC: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/property/calc-cgt.htm