12826847

If my son has been arrested for driving whilst under the influence

Customer Question

If my son has been arrested for driving whilst under the influence of drugs, probably canabis, how long will the police keep him in a cell.

Does he have previous?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Drink driving charge in 2009

Obviously I cannot tell you how long they will keep him. It depends on variables not least being when he is fit for interview and I will have no way of knowing that.

I can tell you the maximum time periods.

For an offence of this kind they have to charge or release him within 24 hours. If they do charge him then they can withhold his bail and put him before the court on Monday.

That is not likely to happen here. He has only one previous matter although related but that was from 2009

it is likely that he will be fit at some point today and therefore interviewed only to be released immediately to attend court within a week to ten days.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The police did search our house last night at 11pm, I am away so have no idea how long they were there but guess not long and hope that there was nothing to find. So I assume they will let him out in between now and 11 tonight. When does he get to make a phone call?
The only reason they would not is if he is charged and kept in for Court on Monday but thats not likely for this offence and his previous.

He will probably be allowed to phone if he is released.