12826847

Me and my daughter moved out of the family home in January

Customer Question

Me and my daughter moved out of the family home in January 2014. Her father was emotionally abusive and aggressive towards me while I was pregnant and would often get drunk and smash up the family home. He has done this in front of our daughter as well. He does not keep to his word even though he sounds sincere. There is also a lot of drugs and alcohol abuse on the fathers side of the family. On Christmas day 2013 the paternal grandfather was drunk and hung my daughter (who was 3 months old) by her ankles, which I found out was child abuse. Even when I spoke to her father he started shouting and swearing at me. he does not take parental responsibility for our daughter, he doesn't even pay child maintenance. We have been to mediation and he went against everything he said and he even became aggressive in front of the mediator. he has since been cautioned for harassment. I did seek a solicitor as both the police and mediator advised me to do so. Since his arrest and caution he has not seen his daughter for three months. I then receive a letter to say he wants contact. I have made a proposal for it to be in a contact centre with supervision. My solicitor has told me if it goes to court he will eventually be allowed unsupervised contact. How can a court put an innocent child in an unsafe environment, which is not in my daughters best interests and puts her wellbeing at risk and where the father clearly doesn't care. He has made so many excuses and he knows exactly what to say to get his own way and I fear for my daughters safety.
What response have you had to your suggestion of using a Contact Centre