UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

I bank on line with LLoyds. Last Wednesday I made one transfer

I bank on line with LLoyds.
Last Wednesday I made one transfer of money to another bank.
I then tried to make a second transfer, but my online banking facility was suspended.

My wife did exactly the same. Her online banking facility was also suspended.

I attempted to contact the online bank service by telephone one their 0845 number. However, they were too busy. I made three attempts but was still unsuccessful.

I am very busy at work an so was unable to sort things out until yesterday.

The LLoyds banch in Malvern Worcestershire is closed on Saturdays, so I traveled to the Worcester and visited the LLoyds Branch at 4 The Cross, Worcester.

In the bank I spoke to an assistance who offered to make the transfers for me at £30 per transaction. I refused the offer.

I was then offered the facility to use the telephone at the bank.

After about 5 minutes on the telephone I got through to an online assistant who took me through a series of security checks, including sending me a text with a number which I read back to him.

He then said he was satisfied I was who I said I was.

He then said he needed to contact someone else.

I was kept on the phone for another 30 minutes.

I was then asked for the details on my debit card. I explained that I did not have my debit card with me. They could not proceed without my debit card and refused to reinstate my account.

I feel that LLoyds were playing very unpleasant games and because I havve a number of situations going on at the same time subjected me to a great deal of stress.

Having reviewed what happened, I think they do this regularly and someone less able to deal with this situation than I am who be absolutely distraught.

Can you please advice.

Thank you for your assistance.

Raymond May
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

What would you like to know please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are LLoyds being reasonable.

If not what should I do.

Raymond May

They have a duty to keep your affairs secure but they have to act reasonably as well.

If there was no apparent reason why your online facility was suspended, and your wife's, then you would have a cause for complaint.

I would suggest that you go through their formal complaints procedure as set out below and escalate the matter to the Financial Ombudsman if need be.

Their complaints policy is as follows under their banking terms and conditions:

21.1 If you feel that we have not met your expectations in any way, please let us know. We want to resolve this with you as quickly as possible. We have a
3 step procedure, which you can use to voice
your concerns.
21.2 Step 1 – Let your usual point of contact know
Inform us of your complaint and how you think
it could be resolved by calling into any branch, calling us on 0845 3 000 000 (+44 1733 347007
from overseas), 24 hours a day, seven days a week, textphone on 0845(###) ###-#### or contacting your Relationship Manager or Business Manager, if you have one.
We will do all we can to resolve your complaint by the end of the next business day. If we cannot do this, we will write to you within five working days to tell you what we have done to resolve the problem, or acknowledge your complaint and let you know when you can expect a full response. We will also let you know the name and contact details of the person or team dealing with your case.
21.3 Step 2 – Follow up
To follow up your complaint with Customer Service Recovery you can ask the person you raised your complaint with to refer the matter to them or write to Customer Service Recovery, General Banking, Lloyds Bank, 2 Brindleyplace, Birmingham B1 2AB.
21.4 Step 3 – Financial Ombudsman Service
If we have not issued our ‘final response’ within
8 weeks from the date you first raised your complaint, or if you are dissatisfied with our response, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service for an independent review. The Financial Ombudsman Service will only consider your complaint once you have tried to resolve it with us, so please take up your concerns with us first and we will do all we can to help. Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR. Tel: 0800(###) ###-####

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience