12826847

can u tell me if it is legal for police officers to enter a

Customer Question

can u tell me if it is legal for police officers to enter a home asking what knife was supposedly used in an argument with neighbours. no evidence of a knife being seen but due to being totally drunk went to a drawer under harassment from a police officer and took out a knife without knowing who he was or where he was???????????????????????????

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Yes, it is.

They have powers of entry arising from S17 PACE here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/60/section/17

which are far reaching but their explanation here will be that they were trying to effect an arrest upon somebody wanted for an indictable offence - probably threats to kill or offensive weapon.

I'm afraid that isn't unlawful harassment although, of course, the officers might well be targeting a person.

they have to investigate every allegation. I prosecute all the time and we are all well aware that witnesses do make false allegations. That doesn't mean they can be dismissed without enquiry.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.