12826847

WE ARE PENSIONERS LIVING IN A COUNCIL BUNGALOW ON PENSION CREDIT.

Customer Question

WE ARE PENSIONERS LIVING IN A COUNCIL BUNGALOW ON PENSION CREDIT. I AM 84 AND MY WIFE IS 70. WE HAVE £7,000 IN SAVINGS BUT WILL UNEXPECTEDLY INHERIT £10,000 INTHE NEXT FEW DAYS. WE NEED TO BUY A CAR WHICH SHOULD THEN BRING OUR MONEY DOWN AGAIN TO UNDER £10,000. AS THE INHERITANCE MONEY WILL ONLY BE IN OUR ACCOUNT FOR A FEW DAYS, WILL THIS AFFECT OUR BENEFITS, PLEASE?

You do need to declare it I'm afraid even if you only have it for a short time. However, if this is pension credit then capital of up to £10k is ignore so that will make no difference.

If you are getting housing benefit though then they would be interested in anything exceeding £6k.

They will not remove your benefits but they may reduce them. Whether they would accept the purchase of a car or not as legitimate is another matter. They may do so.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Just to say many thanks for your reply which has clarified the situation for us, we are most grateful.

Regards,

Neil.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.