How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I purchased a second hand engine , with 3 months warranty ,

Resolved Question:

I purchased a second hand engine , with 3 months warranty , from a company called Northern transits, when fitted , by mechanic, , it was found that the head gasket had gone , rendering the engine useless, I contacted supplier , who firstly suggested I get the engine repaired locally , which is 1, a complete waste of time, 2 I need my van for work every day and im struggling using my car as im unable to carry all my tools. then he tells me that they will get engine picked up and only once they have checked it will they send another!!!even though I had purchased in good faith , what had been sold to me as a good engine with 3 months warranty, they are not willing to show the same good faith in issuing a replacement without firstly getting engine back. also I asked if they were going to re imburse me for the mechanics bill of £235-00 for fitting of engine that had been mis sold as running ,they said no , we don't cover that , but I feel they mis sold me the offending engine and it would never have been fitted if we were in any doubt as to its state .can u help me please as they promised twice to ring me back and haven't and its now at a stage where im going to have to hire a van to be able to work . help please . Tony
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tony,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I a m still waiting for your help . I have heard nothing and am most disappointed into ur service or should I say lack of it !
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the Defendant and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions