75100385

I have received an email from my partners ex wife threatening

I have received an email from my partners ex wife threatening to take me to court if I email her again ...I emailed her with my address details as she was demanding them from my oartmer as the children stay at this address ...I emailed her the details and my phone number.the email was polite and professional.I feel very intimidated and stressed by the email she sent me back which had the heading "bitchface" I was on holiday at the time of receiving the email and it ruined that time What if any action can I take as i darent contact her to try to resolve informally as she has threatened to go to the pilice if I contact her

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I would suggest contacting her through a Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

This will prevent any complications

Alex Watts :

If the email etc you had was grossly offensive then you can report it to the Police

Alex Watts :

It may be an offence under Malicious Communications Act which states:

Alex Watts :

(1)Any person who sends to another person—

(a)a [F1letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii)a threat; or

(iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or

(b)any [F2article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,

Alex Watts :

If it is then this may be an offence.

Alex Watts :

Otherwise I would ask a Solicitor to contact to prevent any misunderstandings

Alex Watts :

Customer:

What woud a slicitor contact and say?

Alex Watts :

The Solicitor would contact the ex and say any communication must be through Sols

Alex Watts :

Your ex can only go to the Police if it is harassment

Alex Watts :

This is where one pursues a course of conduct which is likely to cause alarm, harassment or distress

Alex Watts :

In any event even if it was harassment which I dont think it is, the Police would warn first anyway

Alex Watts :

But I would certainly go to the Police, show the email and raise concerns.

Alex Watts :

Then if they say it is nothing and there is an issue, it will be on record you went to see them

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

so to clarify the best course of action is for me to go to a solicitor and they will prepare a letter and send it to her to state that if she contacts me again it must be through a solicitor ? could he then claim that this was me harassing her?

Customer:

would a solicitor stipulate in the letter sent to her that her email has caused offence etc?

Alex Watts :

To be honest I would just ignore it

Alex Watts :

You have done nothing wrong.

Alex Watts :

Let your ex go to the Police. They wont do anything

Alex Watts :

I personally wouldn't go to a Solicitor, it may make matters worse but you can do that.

Alex Watts :

At this stage do nothing - you have done nothing wrong

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thankyou just wanted to clarify as thought initially stated to go to a solicitor and now stating do nothing even though I was very offended by the email she sent to me

Alex Watts :

Yes I was just saying you could go to a Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

But personally I would ignore it.

Alex Watts :

If that does not work, then go to the Police

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you please?

Customer:

Thankyou for your advice

Alex Watts :

Happy to help

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer.

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply