75100385

If a service contract is signed by one party (myself) and the

If a service contract is signed by one party (myself) and the other party (service provider) never counter-signed the contract (I never received a counter-signed copy), is the contract still binding?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you been receiving the services please?

Customer:

Hello Alex,

Customer:

We never used the services (because the services were no longer required). There were 3 part services with 3 installment payments. I paid the 1st installment, but did not use the service.

Alex Watts :

Did you know there were several payments to be made please?

Customer:

Yes I was aware of the the 3 installments in the contract, I signed the contract. But I never received a counter-signed contract.

Alex Watts :

Ok - sadly then the contract is not void.

Alex Watts :

Contracts can be oral or they can be written

Alex Watts :

This means that if you had not signed, not paid and nothing had been done then you could argue there is no contract.

Alex Watts :

But as you knew of the existence of a written contract and you reinforced this by making a paying, this indicates that there is a contract in place - even if oral.

Alex Watts :

Therefore there is an oral contract in place.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Customer:

Thank you for the clarification.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No this is clear to me.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply.