75100385

In June I smelled a gas leak and unable to find an Emergency

Customer Question

In June I smelled a gas leak and unable to find an Emergency No called a plumbing company from the phone directory.
Someone came round (Plumbers 247 - Toby) fixed the leak and said the boiler was dangerous and needed replacing immediately. I agreed to this and I think the price quoted was 3/4K. No paperwork was issued but he took 1000 from me on a credit card.
The plumbers came and did the work. When they’d finished the plumber (Michael Jay) conferred with Toby who told him to take £5000 from

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have they said why it is a different price please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex

No - no explanation of why the price is different from what I believe was agreed verbally - as I recall he quote 3/4K. Had it been more I would have remembered that. He is also refusing to provide an itemized bill explanation the breakdown of costs, and as far as he’s concerned he is showing up next monday to take £5000 from me on a card. Doesn’t want to deal with cheques. The umbrella company name is Plumbers 247 and I have discovered two registered addresses for them so far.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. At first I was presented with an invoice which listed £1099 as the amount due. I paid £1000. This was for the boiler.

Other items on the bill included £5000 for Materials and £8750 for 1st man labour. I disregarded this as I believed at the time I was just confirming the deposit/boiler payment and the full price quoted verbally was - I’m sure - £3/4K.

Look forward to your advice....

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by competing form N1 at: https://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the Defendant and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

You should also raise a dispute with the Credit Card Company as they are jointly liable under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.