75100385

My husband has been detained in prison and is serving a sentence

My husband has been detained in prison and is serving a sentence for 8 years. My question is do I have to notify the State Pension Department, or is that automatically done?
Also he has three other private pensions, do I have to contact them?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You should notify the State Pension Department in case the Ministry of Justice does not

Alex Watts :

He will NOT be entitled to state pension

Alex Watts :

As for private pension, it depends on the scheme rules whether he is entitled to it

Alex Watts :

You should tell them - but he still may be entitled to the private pension

Alex Watts :

Dependent upon the scheme rules

Alex Watts :