75100385

I have an apartment where there has been a leak of water to

I have an apartment where there has been a leak of water to the property below.
The agents acting for the owner have obtained a quotation which is expensive.
I have a building company and wish to use my own contractors. Agent is saying no, must use their nominated people. Can they do that ?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Unless it is specified in the lease - no

Alex Watts :

If you are having to pay for the works then they have a duty to mitigate loss

Alex Watts :

If there is a cheaper way of doing the works but to the same high standard then they can not refuse

Alex Watts :

You could indeed then refuse to pay the difference in cost, because they have failed to mitigate their loss

Alex Watts :