UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I own 1/16 of a private road. There is a covenant in

I own 1/16 of a private road. There is a covenant in the deed that states that owner should pay 1/16 of road repair on demand but doesn't state who to. Some other part owners of road want to do repairs and bill me for 1/16. Do I have to pay them even if I have not agreed to the work.

Dave
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Arguably, yes, you have to pay them as you are obliged to pay your share for road repairs on demand. The bizarre thing is that anyone who carries out road repairs on your road may make a demand for the money, although in this case, it is reasonable that other part owners are making the demand and not a third party.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I stop them repairing the part of the road I own?

Yes, you may do so if there is nowhere stated in your lease or title that you just allow repairs to be made on the part you own.

All the best. Please leave feedback