LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I paid a deposit and agreed for a sales company to canvass

I paid a deposit and agreed for a sales company to canvass me some new work.
48hrs before they started I cancelled. there service.
they have invoiced me for the work even though they did nothing.They say I cancelled to late and they couldn't replace that weeks job.they say if I don't pay they will take me to crt and I not only will have to pay the invoice but also the crt costs .
I refused to pay as there are no terms or coditions on the receipt for the deposit or elsewhere.There were no terms with regard to any cancelation period at all.
I maintain that I simply cancelled their service.And as there were /are no terms I presumed I was entitled to cancel the service.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you just tell me what sort of work was this? How much was the contract price. How much was the deposit?

Customer:

the work was to canvas window cleaning customers.i paidv £100 and the contract price was £1000

LondonlawyerJ :

In the absence of a clause about late cancellation you have done nothing wrong. What was the purpose of the deposit if not to protect them from this sort of thing. Late cancellation is routine in business and unless there is some deception or false representation on your part then they have no legal basis to sue you. They should ask for a larger deposit!