75100385

Can i take any sort of action against a credit card company?

Customer Question

I had trouble getting my payment cheques cashed after a CCJ, and wrote asking what the problem was. They replied but had the wrong amount owing. Over the next eighteen months I withheld payment until they agreed the correct amount, but all I got was the same response or, many times, ignored.
During this time two collection companies were put on my tail so eventually I contacted the financial ombudsman about my problem and got an immediate call from the C/C company.
I have now re-started payments, but 2 weeks after paying the 18 mths back payment a collection company was put on my case. This was apparently a 'mistake'. One week after paying my next payment, i have received yet another letter from another collection company!
It seems that even with the financial ombudsman involved, they are still determined to make my life a misery and appear to have a desire to drive me insane.
Is there anything I can do?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Are you in arrears or default please?

JACUSTOMER-a441pfh7- :

The CCJ was for £6000.00 plus £355.00 costs. At £50 per month, some cheques were cashed and some returned 'unable to locate account', but when i doubled or trebeled a payment to account for this, it would be cashed. That was the start of the problem.

JACUSTOMER-a441pfh7- :

Sorry, I hit the enter button! I withheld payment until they assured me that I only owed £6355.00 less what I had repaid rather than the original £6923.65, but saved the payments for when I got the answer i was looking for. 18 months of waiting for that clarification along with collection companies chasing me while the C/C company regularly ignored my letters have brought me to this point.They have admitted to the Ombudsman that they treated me badly and have so far offered me £100 as a 'sorry' to which I have said ;No Thankyou'. What has finally drove me to seek advice is that 2 weeks after paying the 18 month back payment I had a collection company on to me and then same again 3 days after making the first follow up payment of £50. I am not in arrears.

Alex Watts :

What loss therefore if any have you suffered now please?

JACUSTOMER-a441pfh7- :

Hello again

JACUSTOMER-a441pfh7- :

My gripe is the eighteen months of incompetence, or wilful indifference, shown by the card company and having my attempts to resolve the situation thrown back in my face by not replying to correspondence. I'm wondering if i can do anything about the upset caused by this ongoing situation and the mental anguish caused. Or do I just need to crack up completely before I think of this particular avenue?