12826847

I bought a coffee table from a retailer through the amazon

I bought a coffee table from a retailer through the amazon website. I purchased in March 2014 and it was ok. Last week it developed a split on one of the panels (no heavy objects have been placed on the table it is very rarely used) I contacted the retailer through amazon explained it all to them, they came back and said I had had the use out of it so the compensation was £8 I believe this is a silly offer, they have said if we had the original package we could return it ! After 5 months! I want to know if it is worth persueing.. Cyril lennox-Short

Is the retailer based in the UK please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they are

How much did you pay for it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Without going into my account about £32/35

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£32/35

Thank you. Sorry for the delay. I lost my connection!
If you want to pursue this through the Small Claims Court, the court fee alone is £25 although you will get back of this goes to court and you win.
As you are an individual and it is a business, if you did proceed to the Small Claims Court, it would be held in your local court.
You would have to prove that you would not cause this damage and it'd simply happened.
It really is up to you whether you want to take the time to go to court over this if they will simply not pay up, or not.
You may find that if you do issue court proceedings they pay up but they may not give you the court fee and you would then be faced with chasing the court fee.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your reply, we understand exactly what you are saying but we have decided to go down with a fight threaten them with court procceedings through the small claims court and see what happens we have decided that £8 is nothing if they withhold payment so what.

I do see that point. they might well settle on the basis that contesting this is not cost effective for them.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/