UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Discrimination

If I were to launch a listings site in the UK, covering trades and businesses nationwide run by or owned solely by women would I be breaking the discrimination act?  If consumers then posted jobs for these people would it change anything

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, what you are proposing to do may be contrary to S. 29 of the Equality Act 2010 which provides as follows:

(1)A person (a “service-provider”) concerned with the provision of a service to the public or a section of the public (for payment or not) must not discriminate against a person requiring the service by not providing the person with the service.
(2)A service-provider (A) must not, in providing the service, discriminate against a person (B)—
(a)as to the terms on which A provides the service to B;
(b)by terminating the provision of the service to B;
(c)by subjecting B to any other detriment.

If a male trader comes to you asking to be listed on your listings website and you refuse, you would be discriminating him.

The fact that a consumer posts jobs on your website is not relevant here.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would I legally be able to list the traders/experts as either male or female? Whilst carrying both?

UKSolicitorJA only

Yes, that is fine as long as the traders do not object to their gender being disclosed.

Hope this helps, please leave feedback