Briefly, I moved energy suppliers from Scottish Power to First Utility in April 2011. The gas account was not moved immediately because Scottish Power had the wrong serial number for my gas meter. It took some months of effort on my part to ensure that this was corrected.
I was not able to submit a gas meter reading to First Utility, because, despite having the correct gas meter serial number, they did not set up the gas account until August 2012 and I did not receive a gas bill until November 2012, despite constant phone calls from me.
The bill was excessively large when it eventually came (and in fact stands at £8800 this month). Some months I can receive up to 3 bills, all varying between me being in credit and owing huge amounts.
During one of the many calls I have made to First Utility to try and establish what I really owe, it became clear that Scottish Power thought the gas account had been moved to First Utility on 30/11/2011, with an end read of 24012, and First Utility thought the gas account had started with them on 25/07/011 with a start read of 21547. I think that this discrepancy represents a large proportion of what I owe, but neither company is prepared to tell me how much it represents, as they both deny responsibility.
I have referred the matter of the differing start/end dates and reads to the Energy Ombudsman and am awaiting his response.
Once I receive a transcript of all communications that I have had with First Utility I would like to seek advice about seeking compensation for the very poor service that they have given. Hence my need for a solicitor who might have experience in the matter of domestic energy supply.