UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a landscape contractor, I supplied and a driveway

I am a landscape contractor, I supplied and laid a driveway stabalising gravel membrane 18months ago, the product is breaking up. It was laid to specification but i feel it is not fit for purpose. the customer has contacted me to say unless i rectify the problem soon they will instruct a third party to do the work and claim against me. I have contacted the supplier and sent pictures of the problem. They have said they will send over a surveyor to look at the problem and get back to me but as of yet they havent. What should i do as i believe this is not my responsibility.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid under the law, it is your responsibility to fix the problem.

Whether or not you are able to claim back from the supplier is a separate matter, but as far as your customer is concerned, they are quite right to claim from you.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I have a period of time in which i have to rectify the problem, as i would like the supplier to see the probelm before i do the remdial work

There is no set period but it should be reasonable and you should discuss this with your customer and get them to agree to a remedial plan with you.

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, if I offered a full refund for the cost of the driveway would this be a suitable resolution

Yes, that would be a suitable resolution but I would suggest that you get the customer to sign a letter saying that they accept a full refund in full and final settlement of any claim which they may have against you. All the best