12826847

we have lost our beloved dog through utter malpractise and

we have lost our beloved dog through utter malpractise and negligence at a vetinary practice, but they still want to bill us at a reduced figure ,but we do not wish to settle this bill because of their incompetance.where do we stand now or if they take us to court .The vetinary world appears almost untouchable.

What is the negligence please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo , our beloved dog died two weeks ago of pancreatitis. we now know through medical research this condition must be treated immediately human or animal.this was not done so and our dog died after two and half days and five visits to the practice

Has another vet confirmed that this amounts to negligence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,no other vet is involved,our dog was seen by three vets from the same practice during the five days .the RCVS web clearly states what treatment should have been administerd

You do have a claim. It is a difficult one.

You are alleging professional negligence effectively. That is not as simple as showing that there were other and better treatments available. You have to show that no reasonable vet would have taken the action this one did. That might be possible. Vets do make mistakes sometimes.

If you are able to prove that then you are not liable for anything arising from the negligent treatment. You do also have a claim for the legal value of the dog although that will not be the sum of money he was worth to you I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, with respect my question was were do we stand if we refuse to settle the vets bill and what are the issues if we are taken to court for non payment

Well, as I said really

If you are able to prove that this amounts to professional negligence then you are not laible for anything arising from the negligent treament.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, thank you for your reply,in reality medical proof is difficult we only have the research knowledge of what treatment SHOULD have been given,i.e no solid food in order for the inflammation in the pancreas to subside which takes 3/4 days and the dog should have been admitted and placed on an intravenous drip. None of this was undertaken, he was left to deteriorate in their care and when they realised how ill he was the treatment then given was too late. Finance is not an issue here we just want justice. If this issue went to court what table of costs are likely to be incurred, please? Also, how might we have obtained proof should this be available to us?