Can someone advise me on a jury service question please? I

Can someone advise me on a jury service question please?

I have been called up for jury service and have 14 days to write to them asking if I can be excused.

Though I wouldn’t mind doing my service, there is no way I have the time or finances to do so, for various reasons.

Firstly, I run a one man band courier business that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The work comes in on a day by day basis and it’s down to me to answer the phone and carry out the work. Not being available for even just one day would result in loss of business as it is such a competitive industry.

I am also studying for my London Black Taxi Licence, which I do in between work. I have a limited time period before I have to sit the first of many exams.
Lastly, I care for my mother as and when I can. She has a permanent disability and relies on me to do her shopping and take care of certain household chores.

If I explained my situation to the courts, could I be excused? My studying will last for at least the next 2 years and there is no other way to give my mother the care she needs. I need my business to stay afloat as this gives me the flexibility to study and care for my mother.

I don’t want to sound as if I am exaggerating my circumstances so should I just give one reason why I cannot attend or just be honest?

No, give them a full account of your circumstances.

The practical reality is that they will offer deferral first before excusal.

There is a good chance of deferral. They will take into account your examination requirements and the precarious nature of your business. I'm afraid the care you provide for your mother won't be an issue for them.

But you should mention both reasons. They are both good ones.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. So I just explain my studying & business circumstances only?

Also, if I was offered deferral, does this mean I will be called at some time in the next 12 months and what do I do then? explain that my circumstances are the same? Both my business and studys would fail if I was away for any length of time.

Thanks for your help

Well, you can mention your mother. You won't be discriminated against becuase you raise facts that are not really ones for consideration.

Deferral does mean that you are considered within the next 12 months and then your only option is to apply for excusal.

Jury service is very hard to escape now. Your best point is that your business would fail but obviously it does take some work to convince a court that two weeks would be sufficient to cause a business to fail.

Studies do usually allow for a period of release for jury service at some point over 12 months.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice