75100385

My builder walked off site in Feb 2012 without completing the

Customer Question

My builder walked off site in Feb 2012 without completing the job. most of his work is substandard, Ive paid 65,000. A structural surveyor and two indipendent builders say it will cost as much again to put it right and finish the job. I have taken out a County Court Claim against him, my builder has taken a CCC against me. My Solicitor is charging £15,000 to Court. I have run out of money and am in debt because of this case. My builder knows my situation and is playing the waiting gaim knowing he will win because I can't afford to pursue this case , or defend myself against his claim.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What stage are proceedings and what would you like to know about this please?
JACUSTOMER-210dexfk- :

My café and flat above was badly fire damaged 03/5/2011, I was under insured which meant that I had to employ the cheapest builder I could find. I believe the court hearing will be October, meanwhile my Solicitor has put in a "part 36 offer which is expected to be declined. My builder is dragging his heels expecting me to declare that I have no money to go on. I have a right to claim but because of my financial situation am going to lose by default. If not legal aid, there must be help for people in my position.My livelihood and home are in tatters because of this builder. Correction. My builder walked off site in Feb 2013.

Alex Watts :

Ok - what is it you would like to know from me please?

JACUSTOMER-210dexfk- :

there must be thousands of people in a similar position to myself who, a few years ago would have qualified for legal aid.If not legal aid, is there any help for people in my position? Is there a law firm who will work on a no win no fee basis? or did the government set up a scheme to replace the desperately needed legal aid? or are we as the government says, just another casualty?

Alex Watts :

There is sadly no help unless you can go to the Bar Pro Bono unit

Alex Watts :

http://www.barprobono.org.uk/

Alex Watts :

But if you are not entitled to legal aid you either have to do it yourself or try the Bar

Alex Watts :

I am sorry but there is no other option and this really is not the answer I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :