UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

my monitored house alarms service and maintainance contract

my monitored house alarms service and maintainance contract was cancelled last nov.
We had a accidental activation a week or so ago and can not reset the alarm as the company will not provide the eng. code to enable resetting unless we pay a fee of £150.00
pounds for first 30mins. then extra over that. they did not install the alarms. but have left us with equipment unuseable. an we get the code under perhaps the freedom of infomation.
Tank you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may try and request for a code under the Data Protection Act (not the Freedom of Information Act) but the company could argue that the code is not your personal information but their property and therefore they are justified to charge for it.

I am afraid you may need to find an alternative way of disabling the alarm if you do not wish to pay their fee as it will cost you time and money to chase the company legally with no guarantee that you will get the code for free even if you follow the legal process.

May I help further?