UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We are an electrical company we have a gas leak called out

We are an electrical company we have a gas leak called out an emergency service but he wanted paper work from our present supplier. We are unable to do this as we have not paid a gas bill for some years. What do we do please?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Do you know who your gas supplier is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No do not know who our supplier is

You first need to find out who your supplier is, there is a procedure stated here saying what needs to be done to find out who your supplier is:

http://www.ukpower.co.uk/who-supplies-my-gas-and-electricity

Once you know who your supplier is, you should get in touch with them and explain that you have not been billed and ask them to send you a bill, they will be able to make an account in your name and bill you, giving you the paperwork required.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We called the number and they say we are not on the National grid. Where does that leave us?

You should contact National Grid in that case and see if they are able to assist.

Legally, there is not much that can be done at the moment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know where we stand in respects of the usage of gas in the last few years. As the gas has been supplied to the premises and as per the telephone call we discover we are not on the National Grid, but still have access to gas. Where do stand legally on that?

You would be liable to pay for the gas consumed for the years you have not been billed. There is a back billing code which says suppliers are only allowed to back bill for 12 months but that applies where customers made attempts to contact the supplier and as far as I am aware, it only applies to domestic users.

You say you are a company, so a business user.

The main challenge for you is to get connected to the National Grid, know who is supplying your gas and take it from there to get your account up to date.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good