UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I would like to know if its legal for search engine

Hello, I would like to know if it's legal for search engine such as Google to include sites that mention the following statement in their terms and conditions:
You acknowledge and agree that the material and content contained within the Website is made available for your personal non-commercial use only and that you may (if necessary to make a Purchase) download such material and content onto only one computer hard drive for such purpose. Any other use of the material and content of the Website is strictly prohibited. You agree not to (and agree not to assist or facilitate any third party to) copy, reproduce, transmit, publish, display, distribute, commercially exploit or create derivative works of such material and content.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is lawful for search engines to include such sites, there is no legislation stopping them from doing so.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I m actually building a similar search engine it's more like Google images where i clearly mention the name of the website where i retrieved the image and other properties along with a link to visit the origin website. However, my search engine is a mobile app and not only a web page. Wouldn't be considered as reproducing the content on my web page or mobile app?

Is it legal for me to charge my users for search services?

Yes, you may charge for your app and you would not be considered to be reproducing the content on your app as you are simply pointing out the website where the image appears, similar to what Google Image does.

Hope this clarifies